Light and Medium Weight scrap cardboard
Glitter or sequins or confetti or a mixture
Dowel (1/4" or whatever size makes your hand happy)
Spray paint (gold, silver or white)
White craft glue (thick and thin)
Optional: Hot melt glue/glue gun
Duct tape (small piece)
Small disposable foam brush
Plastic pearls, jewels or beads (use what you have on hand if possible)
Ribbon streamers (re-purposed gift wrap ribbons if you saved them)
Star template or pattern
Disposable glue brush
Clean dry brush
1. Make pattern template out of thin cardboard
2. Draw around pattern on thicker cardboard, label and save pattern for future use.
3. Cut out star. Spray paint one side of star and dowel the color of your choice. Let dry.
4. Cut dowel to the length you want. Set aside.
5. Put a square foot piece of paper creased down the center on your work space. Lay your star painted side up on the paper. Glue bigger elements onto the star in a pleasing pattern with the thicker craft glue. If you need to, draw placement lines with a pencil. The glitter will cover the lines anyway.
6. Using a cheap disposable brush, spread out the thin glue wherever you want the first color of glitter/confetti/sequins. Generously apply glitter. DO NOT PICK UP STAR or all your pretties will slide around.If you get glitter where you don't want it carefully remove it with a clean dry paintbrush.
8. Tilt and gently tap star and let excess glitter fall onto paper under the star. This glitter will later be used on the back, so leave it where it is for now. Lay the star back down and dab glue in the spots that you might have missed and touch it up. Put down more glue and add next color/s of glitter and sequins and confetti. Let dry an hour and tap again to remove the excess. Touch up blank spots.
9. Let dry completely in a warm spot.
10. Flip star over. Duct tape the dowel to the back between two points. Now take the spray paint and paint the back of the star and the tape. When that is good and dry, brush the back with glue. You can use a bigger foam brush if you prefer. Glue the left over glitter all over the back.Add more glitter if needed. Once dry, tap off excess glitter, and use it to touch up empty areas. Let dry completely and then tie the ribbons around the stick at the base of the star. Pat yourself on the back.
Tutorial for the Glitter Wand